What is a Fun Stopper?
You may not know the definition of a Fun Stopper, but I’m sure you have at least one in your life. A Fun Stopper, a person who is physically incapable of enjoying life, exhibits symptoms such as:
- limited and/or non-existent sense of humor
- tendency to take one’s self too seriously
- insistence to over analyze everything, including but not limited to jokes, resulting in everyone within ear-shot attempting to stab their eyes out with a dulled pencil point
- inability to feel warm and fuzzies
Is There a Cure?
The Fun Stoppers can be cured, but much like GI Joe, knowing is half the battle. In the case of a Fun Stopper, he/she normally does not recognize the disease; more likely, the Fun Stopper believes everyone else is infected, which makes administering a cure quite difficult.
What Can You Do?
If a Fun Stopper in your life is nothing more than an annoyance, I suggest simply keeping your distance. For example, de-friend the Facebook pal who can’t stop making negative comments or posts; steer clear of the rude cashier at the store; request the hygienist with the sunny disposition and soft touch at your next dentist appointment.
Avoiding or excluding the Fun Stopper may not always be possible, especially if he/she is of your own flesh and blood. And as the holidays are approaching, the people-to-people ratio is undoubtedly going to quadruple at the local eateries, shops and quite possibly, in your own home. Consequently, sightings of the Fun Stoppers will increase. In an effort to 1. cope with forced interactions and 2. help cure the Fun Stopper, try the following:
- Find the woman who is complaining (loudly) that the store will not accept her expired-in-2011 coupon. Hug her.
- If you witness a guy contemplating not tipping his waitress because he had to wait 4 minutes for a water refill, sit on his lap and sing a Christmas carol.
- Target the Fun Stopper in your family and joyfully recall better times: “Remember when you were 30 pounds lighter and happier? Let’s go to that place.”
Also Known As…
Do not be fooled or confused by semantics. The Fun Stopper also goes by the following names:
Stick in the Mud